The McGill University MasterCard Scholarships are dedicated to providing academically talented young leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa with the opportunity to access a world-class university education. These scholarships come with comprehensive support systems to ensure the scholars’ success. The program envisions creating a transformative network of young people and institutions that drive inclusive and equitable socio-economic change in Africa.
- Type: Masters
- Application Deadline: December 1, 2023
Value and Duration:
The scholarship offers:
- Full Scholarship
- Monthly Stipends
- Airfare Tickets
Eligible Field of Study:
The scholarship is available for eligible Master’s Programs (Non-Thesis ONLY) including but not limited to:
- Animal Science: Sustainable Agriculture
- Bioresource Engineering – Environmental Engineering
- Bioresource Engineering – Integrated Food & Bioprocessing
- Bioresource Engineering – Integrated Water Resource Management
- Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry – Food Science
- Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry – Food Safety
- Human Nutrition: Project
- Public Health
- Public Policy (maximum of 5 Scholars per year)
The scholarship is open to students from Sub-Saharan African countries (see the list of eligible countries).
To be considered for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be admissible to one of the eligible non-thesis programs at McGill University
- Have never registered for/completed any graduate studies
- Be a citizen of, and reside in, a Sub-Saharan African Country (see list of eligible countries)
- Have a valid passport and be admissible to Canada as an International Student (requiring a Study Permit). Dual citizenship, asylee, refugee, or permanent resident status in the US, Canada, UK, or EU disqualifies applicants.
- Even if you do not identify with a Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program priority group, you are welcome to apply. However, preference will be given to those who identify with one of the following groups:
- Refugee or Internally Displaced Person
- Person with Disabilities
- Have an exceptional record of service and activity in your school and/or community
- Have an intent to return to your country immediately upon the completion of your degree with the goal of transforming your community through social and economic development
- Must be less than 35 years old at the time of application
How to Apply:
- Start your graduate application at McGill University. Do not pay the application processing fee immediately, but complete all other steps.
- Complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Application Form to have your eligibility for the study program and scholarship assessed. Only complete applications from candidates who meet the minimum requirements will be considered.
- McGill Graduate Programs (Begin McGill University Graduate Application, prospective applicants should not proceed with the payment of the application, but complete all other components).
- Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (Complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application form to have your application pre-screened for academic and scholarship eligibility. Only complete applications that meet the minimum eligibility requirements will be considered).
This scholarship provides an exceptional opportunity for young leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa to pursue their Master’s degree and contribute to social and economic development in their home countries. If you meet the requirements, don’t hesitate to apply. Best of luck to all prospective candidates!