The University of Oxford, in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation, offers the Mastercard AfOx Scholarships to empower 400 young African scholars to pursue fully-funded taught Masters degrees at the prestigious University of Oxford. These degrees are in programs related to pandemic preparedness and recovery, addressing critical global issues.
The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship program supports passionate and globally-minded young Africans to undertake graduate studies at Oxford. The program is built on the shared values of collegiality, empathy, commitment, inclusion, and community.
- Type: Masters
- Application Deadline: December 31, 2023
- Number of Awards: 400
Value and Duration:
This fully-funded scholarship covers all costs associated with the Master’s program, including:
- Tuition fees
- Living expenses for international students
- Logistics support, which encompasses an economy return flight, visa and Immigration Health Surcharge fees, settling down allowance, and access to a Thrive Fund for emergencies
The program entails a rigorous academic Master’s course at Oxford during the first year, accompanied by a Leadership and Impact Program. This program supports scholars in developing collaborative leadership qualities to address complex social and environmental challenges.
Applicants from all African countries are eligible for the Mastercard AfOx Scholarship.
This scholarship program is open to all students with an African nationality and residence who receive a conditional offer of admission from the University of Oxford. The program particularly encourages applications from under-represented groups, including but not limited to:
- Female scholars
- People from refugee and displaced backgrounds
- Disabled scholars
Considerations will be made for students from refugee and displaced backgrounds in terms of residence requirements.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this scholarship, follow these steps:
- Submit your graduate study application to the University of Oxford via the graduate admissions portal before the deadline for your chosen course of study.
- Read the Application Guide in detail before submitting your application. It is recommended that you submit your application form and all supporting documents at least a week before the December/January deadline for your course.
- Eligible candidates who receive a conditional offer from their course will be invited to apply for the AfOx Graduate Scholarship Program. During the application process, invited candidates will be expected to complete the AfOx Graduate Scholarship questionnaire.
- Shortlisted candidates will have virtual interviews before decisions are made. Timelines will be communicated during the interview stage.
This is a unique opportunity for African scholars to pursue their academic aspirations at one of the world’s most prestigious universities. Act now, apply, and be part of the change that our world so desperately needs. Best of luck to all prospective applicants!