The TechGirls Summer Exchange Program is an initiative based in the United States. Its aim is to empower and support young women between the ages of 15 and 17 from the United States and select countries worldwide. This program is designed to inspire and encourage young women to pursue higher education and careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields through hands-on skills development training.
In 2024, the program is set to support 111 young women from 37 participating countries/territories and 13+ U.S. peers. The program consists of a dynamic four-week U.S.-based experience with a seven-month mentoring program, including pre- and post-exchange activities. The core of the program is a 24-day experience in the United States where participants engage in an interactive TechCamp. This camp provides an in-depth examination of cutting-edge technologies and various educational and professional paths in STEM fields.
- Type: Fellowships
- Application Deadline: December 8, 2023
Value & Duration of Award:
The TechGirls Summer Exchange Program offers the following benefits:
- Visa fee for international participants.
- Roundtrip international airfare from the participant’s home country to the United States.
- Roundtrip domestic airfare from the participant’s home city (as applicable).
- Housing during the program, including accommodations at Virginia Tech and a hotel in Washington, D.C.
- Meals during the program (breakfast, lunch, and dinner).
- Local transportation to group program events.
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International.
- Emergency health insurance.
Eligible Countries: International Students
To be eligible for the TechGirls Summer Exchange Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be citizens of eligible countries/territories AND living in that country/territory at the time of the exchange.
- Be between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange on July 13, 2024 (born on or between July 13, 2006, and July 13, 2009).
- Demonstrate advanced skills and a serious interest in science, technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies.
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in STEM, especially technology.
- Have strong English language skills (advanced intermediate English skills).
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness.
- Commit to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
- Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements (for instance, U.S. citizens are not eligible for a J-1 visa).
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff, U.S. Department of State employees, family members of the administering organization or partner organizations are not eligible to apply.
All TechGirls Summer Exchange Program participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements. Independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts review applications.
- For international semi-finalists, U.S. embassy personnel in the host country/territory of permanent residence conduct interviews.
- For U.S. semi-finalists, Legacy International conducts interviews.
This program provides an incredible opportunity for young women interested in STEM fields to gain valuable knowledge, experience, and connections in the United States. It fosters a supportive environment for future leaders in technology and innovation.