- Application Deadline: December 1, 2023
The Echidna Global Scholar Program, hosted by the Brookings Institution in Washington, DC, is inviting applications for its 2024 Visiting Fellowship. This program is part of the Center for Universal Education within the Global Economy and Development program at Brookings. Its goal is to strengthen the capacity of local leaders from the Global South to advance gender equality in and through education. During a six-month Fellowship at Brookings, scholars will engage in individual research aimed at improving learning opportunities and life outcomes for girls, young women, and gender non-conforming individuals. Upon completing the fellowship, scholars become part of the Echidna Global Scholars Alumni Network, promoting their influence on gender-transformative education globally.
- Program Type: Fellowship
Value & Duration of Award:
Selected Echidna Global Scholars will receive a stipend of $22,500 USD to support living costs during the pre-residency and residency periods. Additionally, the program covers the costs associated with the visa process, single-occupancy housing during the three-and-a-half-month residency period, round-trip travel expenses, and a limited health insurance plan.
Echidna Global Scholars will need to commit full-time during the residency period and a substantial part-time commitment during the pre-residency period (approximately 15-20 hours/week). The program’s expectations for scholars include:
- Conducting professional, in-depth research, producing an evidence-based policy paper, and presenting research findings and policy recommendations at Brookings-organized events.
- Participating in capacity strengthening, leadership development activities, and individual and group reflections.
- Developing a post-residency project proposal to expand the impact of their research in their home countries.
- Engaging professionally with other Brookings scholars and community members and participating in Brookings events and activities.
Applicants should possess a Master’s degree and have at least 10 years of professional experience in research/academia, non-governmental organizations, community organizations, or government. They must have substantial ties to the Global South and a demonstrated commitment to improving learning opportunities and life outcomes for girls, young women, and gender non-conforming individuals.
Successful applicants should have a background in education, gender and/or women’s studies, development, public policy, economics, or related social sciences or humanities areas. Proficiency in English is a requirement.
Priority Areas for 2024:
The program is particularly interested in applicants working in the following areas:
- Geographic priorities: West Africa, South Asia, Central America; countries and regions affected by conflict and crisis, high levels of gender-based violence, child marriage, early childbearing, and low levels of sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Targeted actors and communities of interest: Socio-economically and politically marginalized girls, young women, gender non-conforming individuals; children or young people experiencing homelessness; indigenous, migrant, displaced, or nomadic populations; out-of-school children and youth; and LGBTQ+ youth.
How to Apply:
Applications must be submitted through the iCIMS application system. Initial application materials should include a cover letter that explains how the program will impact the applicant’s life and their community, a CV or resume, and the completed Echidna Global Scholars Program Application. Letters of recommendation, writing samples, and transcripts are not required.
Please note that all applications should be submitted in English.
- Application Deadline: December 1, 2023
- Interviews: January and February 2024
- Selection date: March 15, 2024
- Acceptance date: March 29, 2024
- Fellowship start date: July 1, 2024
If you meet the eligibility criteria and are passionate about advancing gender-transformative education, consider applying to become an Echidna Global Scholar before the December 1, 2023 deadline.